It’s zucchini squash time in the garden and I have been utilizing the zucchini from my garden in different ways. Sara gave me the idea to try to make chocolate zucchini cake the other day and searched for a recipe for me. I settled on the one below which sounded very similar to what she found. Instead of a two-layer cake, I made a 9” x 13” sheet cake in a glass pan; omitted the optional espresso powder; used canola oil and dark brown sugar; sour cream instead of yogurt; and iced with the milk chocolate icing suggested in recipe link. https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2016/02/17/marble-cake/
If you like chocolate like I do, I think you will like this cake.
· 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
· 3/4 cup (63g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
· 2 teaspoons baking soda
· 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup (240ml) canola or vegetable oil
· 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
· 3/4 cup (150g) packed light or dark brown sugar
· 4 large eggs, at room temperature
· 1/3 cup (80g) sour cream or plain yogurt, at room temperature
· 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
· 3 cups shredded zucchini (about 3 medium)*
· 1 cup (180g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
• Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease two 9×2 inch cake pans. (Make sure they’re at least 2 inches high, deep dish style.) Set aside.
• Make the cake: Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder (if using), and salt together in a large bowl. In another large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and zucchini together until combined. Pour into dry ingredients and beat on medium speed until completely combined. Beat in the chocolate chips. Batter will be slightly thick.
• Pour batter evenly into cake pans. Bake for around 25-32 minutes or until the cakes are baked through. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is done. Allow cakes to cool completely in the pans set on a wire rack. The cakes must be completely cool before frosting and assembling.
For pictures and complete directions visit the link below: